So before I start sharing my thoughts on BIM, I thought it might be wise for my first post to focus on a little of my background in the industry. This is not to persuade my readers into thinking I have advanced intellectual powers when it comes to BIM, but to instead inform you of who I am, where I've been, and where I'm going with BIM and other design/visualization technologies in our industry. I will never and have never claimed to be an expert, nor will I admit that for anyone else.
And so we begin - a brief history on the blogger .
My Career Path?
1987-1997 = Civil Engineering with a focus on 3D Visualization
1997-2006 = Architectural Design with a focus on 3D Visualizations and BIM/Revit
2006-2009 = 3D Visualizations and Creative Art Director for a Video Production Firm
2009-Current = BIM Specialist Manager within HNTB's Incubation Group
Brief BIM Background:
I was first introduced to BIM in 2000 while working at CDFM2 Architects as their Creative Vision Group Manager. A shiny headed guy named Phil Read visited our office and dilated our eyes with this magical pixie dust called Revit. At the time my focus was on 3D modeling and Visualization technologies, so Phil had perfect timing. Soon after my introduction to Revit, I found myself waving the flag for BIM and leading/supporting a group of Architects on not one..but two of the largest Revit projects in the U.S. at that time. H&R Block Headquarters in KC, and the 1 million sq.ft. IRS Headquarters a few blocks away.
Throughout the years I've changed companies a few times, mainly due to my enjoyment in helping others learn BIM for the first time, and or watching them grasp the idea of BIM and push the industry forward for all of us. That said, I’ve actively pursued positions in the marketplace that focused on the development, implementation, training, and support of both new and existing BIM technologies...with Revit still being my primary BIM tool of choice.
In 2009, My friend and long time mentor Phil Read asked me to join his new BIM R&D Group at HNTB. Needless to say, it presented a great opportunity for me to focus on future BIM and Visualization technologies, so I joined Phil and hit the ground running. Today, while now absent of my great mentor Phil, who now is literally floating on another cloud now (M-six.com), I still find myself just as passionate about the technologies in our industry...and like Phil once did for me, showering others with the magic pixie dust.
You Decide
There you have it...26 years of my career on a plate, served with a side of fries and a diet coke. I encourage all of you to participate in this Blog a much as possible...and remember, you can only be considered mentors if you're willing to share with others. Thanks to all, Happy Holidays, and hope to hear from you soon as I begin blogging!

No comments:
Post a Comment